Friday, October 14, 2011

Heated yoga.. WIN

Dude it took me 4 YEARS to build of the confidence and strength to be able to go to a heated yoga class. I have ALWAYS wanted to try it, but didn't feel I had the god damn confidence to pull off a practice in 100+ degree room at 40%ish humidity for a fucking HOUR & HALF!!! But I did it, and I loved it. I am trying to work into my schedule for 2 classes a week. I don't think I could take anything longer than that. But holy sweat man. I couldn't believe the amount of toxins & water that left my body. 84 poses you work through, and man as your body gets warmed up, you can stretch deeper and deeper. It's a pretty fucking awesome experience. I do miss certain poses like the wheel, and headstands. So I am going to keep practicing my Vinyasa yoga twice or 3 times a week, and rock heated yoga twice a week. I would however say that the beginner would probably not enjoy this class much. You really need to understand the poses and mentally have the strength to be able to work through the tough moments. I am eager and excited to begin this new regime and see how to works out for me!!!

Few things I read about heated yoga:

The heat means we can get into postures more deeply and effectively - plus the benefits of the postures come quickly. Like thousands before you, you will find that practising yoga in the warm room creates a satisfying and almost addictive feeling of achievement.

The benefits are many:
  • Your body burns fat more effectively, fat may be redistributed and burned as energy during the class. It is common to lose centimetres of shape in a very short time
  • The heat produces a fluid-like stretch allowing for greater range of movement in joints, muscles, ligaments and other supporting structures of the body
  • Capillaries dilate in the heat; more effectively oxygenating the tissues, muscles, glands and organs and helping in the removal of waste products
  • Your peripheral circulation improves due to enhanced perfusion of your extremities
  • Your metabolism speeds up the breakdown of glucose and fatty acids
  • You benefit from a strengthening of willpower, self control, concentration and determination in this challenging environment
  • Your cardiovascular system gets a thorough workout
  • Your muscles and connective tissue become more elastic and allow for greater flexibility with less chance of injury and improved resolution of injury
  • Sweating promotes detoxification and elimination through the skin - which is the body's largest eliminating organ
  • Just as when your body raises its temperature to fight infection, the raised temperature in the room will assist in improving T-cell function and the proper functioning of your immune system
  • Your nervous system function is greatly improved and messages are carried more efficiently to and from your brain
  • Metabolism improves in your digestive system and in the body's cells (that is food in the gut and nutrients in the cells)



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home